The League of Women Voters of Greater Cleveland
Shaker Heights Chapter 2017-2018 Academic Year
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government.
The League of Women Voters of Greater Cleveland, Shaker Heights Chapter (LWVGC-SH) is pleased to offer a Fellowship opportunity for a high school student (female or male), who is a resident of the Shaker Heights School District. The Legacy Fellow will have a unique opportunity to learn more about the election process and gain new insight into politics, on the local and national level; to understand the U.S. political system and the value of citizen involvement; to learn about non-partisanship and best practices in a partisan election. The Legacy Fellow will see firsthand how a national non-profit operates and influences policy at all levels of government by assisting with the development and implementation of issue and message campaigns at the grassroots level.
The Legacy Fellowship begins in September and ends in May.
The Legacy Fellow will assist the LWVGC-SH and gain hands-on experience with:
- Civic engagement, contacts with local politicians, media, commercial and other non-profit organizations
- Consolidation and distribution of election and voter information, press releases, social media communications
- Membership outreach
- Voter registration drive, involving local non-profit organizations and other nonpartisan groups
- Forums and panel discussions, including contacting participants, helping with publicity, and managing on-site details
- Increase the LWVGC-SH social media outreach
- Project management, organizational development and work with League members at LWVGC-SH events, create promotional materials (pamphlets, postcards, and so on)
- Attending one public governmental meeting per month, for example observing local government
- Attending LWVGC-SH meetings during the Fellowship
- Be an ambassador for the LWVGC-SH at your school
- Meet with appointed LWVGC-SH supervisor twice a month
The LWVGC-SH offers flexible hours (2 hours per week) and a comfortable work environment. This academic-year Legacy Fellowship provides a $1000.00 stipend at the completion of the Fellowship term.
Applications for the 2017 -2018 Legacy Fellowship will be accepted starting May 1, 2017 through July 31, 2017.
Please submit a statement of interest, resume, and contact information for 3 references. Email your completed application to email@example.com, with subject line: Legacy Fellowship Application
If you have an interest in a particular project, please mention it in your statement of interest. If you have additional questions, please email Audrey Morris