March 29th, 2017 | Published in Observer Reports
Feb. 21, 2017
Present: Council members Nancy Moore, Sean Malone, Earl Williams, Rob Zimmerman; citizen members Martin Kolb, Linda Lalley
Also present: Mayor Earl Leiken, Chief Administrative Officer Jeri Chaikin, Finance Director Robert Baker, Police Commander Michael Rowe, Fire Chief Patrick Sweeney, Public Works Director Patti Speese, Planning Director Joyce Braverman, Building Department Manager Kyle Krewson
The meeting commenced at 7:30 a.m. with approval of the Jan. 17, 2017, regular meeting minutes.
- Authorized the appropriation of $10,000 from the State of Ohio Attorney General for Continuing Professional Training (CPT) for the Police Department.
- Authorized the acceptance of a Community Recycling Awareness Grant from the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District in an amount up to $5,000 to purchase recycling magnets. The magnets will be inserted in Shaker Life magazine and will contain recycling information for residents.
- Authorized an Agreement between Shaker Heights and the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD) to utilize the city’s Community Cost Share over the next seven years to reimburse the city for the construction of storm water management facilities at University Hospitals Management Services Center on Warrensville Center Road.
- Approved and authorized the execution of a Shared Services Agreement with Cuyahoga County for sharing certain capital equipment on an as-needed basis.
- Authorized a sole-source contract with Pierce Manufacturing, without competitive bidding, in the amount of $238,000 for the mechanical refurbishment of a 2003 Pierce Fire Engine for the Shaker Heights Fire Department.
- Authorized the acceptance and appropriation of funds in the amount of $2,500 from the 2016-17 Ohio Department of Public Safety EMS grant.
- Authorized the application for and acceptance of a 2017-18 Ohio Department of Public Safety EMS grant.
- Approved amending the city’s building code to better define the fee schedule in four areas—Fire Suppression Systems, Mechanical Exhaust Systems, HVAC, and Gas Lines.
- Granted a right-of-way license and authorized the issuance of a permit to AT&T Ohio, within the right-of-way on the tree lawn along Nicholas Avenue adjacent to the side property of 3690 Sudbury Road, for a new pole providing for transmission of telecommunication services.
- Authorized the application for and acceptance of a grant in the total amount of up to $250,000 from the Ohio Department of Transportation for a multi-purpose bicycle/pedestrian path along Farnsleigh Road in the Van Aken District. No local match is required for this grant.
- Authorized the Issuance of Non-Tax Revenue Bonds to Reimburse the Economic Development and Housing Reserve Fund for its contribution of $750,000 to the University Hospitals Underground Water Retention Facility Project.
- Authorized the initial payment to RMS under the Development and Use Agreement for Van Aken District Phase 1.
- Amended the 2017 Appropriations Ordinance.
- Authorized the execution of 15 Then-and-Now certificates.
The meeting adjourned at 8:35 a.m.