November 30th, 2014 | Published in Uncategorized
County Council Regular Meeting: November 25, 2014
Observer: Janice Patterson
This report contains member observations and selected highlights of a meeting of the Cuyahoga County Council and is not an official statement by any League of Women Voters in the county. For the official disposition of all agenda items, consult the Cuyahoga County Council website at council.cuyahogacounty.us
The meeting was called to order promptly at 5:00 p.m. by President C. Ellen Connally with all Council members except David Greenspan present. The meeting adjourned at 6:00 p.m. There was a 15-minute executive session about halfway through the meeting.
II. Antecedents, Announcements or Public Comment
President Connally stated that the closing of the MetroHealth System clinic at Asia Plaza came as a surprise to Council members and that she would join Council member Yvonne Conwell in introducing a resolution that would require MetroHealth to require a 90-day-notice to Council when closing a site. County Executive Ed FitzGerald’s only statement of the evening was his “on point” comment on this contemplated action.
A public comment was made by Janice Ridgeway of Garden Valley Neighborhood House urging Council’s support for the pending contract supporting emergency food services.
III. Business Transacted
Six items were approved upon second reading under suspension of rules:
- Amendment to MetroHealth policies & procedures permitting joint purchasing with other local hospitals
- Authorization for sale of sales tax revenue bonds for sewer district improvements and for County facilities improvements
- Sale of tax-exempt economic development bonds for the Medical Mart/Convention Center project
- Sale of taxable economic development bonds for the Western Reserve Fund (a revolving loan fund supporting job creation and retention in the County)
- Award of $1.095K fiscal agent services contract to United Way for emergency food purchases for Cuyahoga County residents
Nine items received their second reading:
* contract for community works service placement and supervision program
* group healthcare benefits for county employees and eligible dependents with three providers
* MetroHealth System Year 2015 Budget
* amend name of fiber maintenance service provider
* contracts for 22 persons to provide real estate appraisal services
* an ordinance establishing guidelines for financial management of County operations and a long-term County financial plan
Ten items received first reading and were referred to various committees:
- Six resolutions supporting applications to the Clean Ohio Fund Green Space Conservation Program for specific areas
- Change of scope and additional funds for design engineering services contract for Royalton Road project
- Authorization of Mayfield Village’s participation in a benefits regionalization program
- Five-year maintenance and support contract for automated fingerprint identification system
- Four-year agreement with MetroHealth System for services at the County Corrections Center.
- Additional funds for two organizations providing Staff for Secure Shelter Care Services
- An ordinance establishing a post-secondary, small business internship
The Council will convene as a Committee of the Whole on Dec. 2 at 3 p.m. and on Dec. 9 at 4:30 p.m.
The next regular Council meeting is Dec. 9 at 5:00 p.m.
There will be a special year-end meeting on Thursday, Dec. 18, with the time yet to be determined.